How to get WhatsApp on your Computer
This feature has been available quite some time now and I am amazed that I still get asked what that feature is and how it works. Since the release of WhatsApp Web they released a desktop application in May but I am not covering that here. So here is a quick write up in case anyone needs to figure out how it works.
WhatsApp web allows you to easily type WhatsApp messages with the comfort of your computer’s keyboard. That means no more annoying auto-corrects and futile attempts picking the right special characters or emoji. You can also easily insert images your message threads from your computer. It feels exactly like an instant messenger.
How can I use WhatApp on my Desktop / Laptop without the App?
- Type https://web.whatsapp.com/ into your browser or simply search “WhatsApp web” or “web WhatsApp” and pick the first result. It should be the same URL.
- In the next step take your phone and start the WhatsApp App. In Android you need to click on the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner to get into the menu*:
- After you click on it, it should look like this in Android*. Please select “WhatsApp Web” from the menu:
- After you have done this, your phone activates the camera and the screen should depict a square with a horizontal line moving up and down. Bring it near to your computer screen and try to scan the QR code that you have already loaded in step 1. You won’t have to do anything, except trying to match the square on your phone with the QR code on the screen. Your phone’s camera needs to work properly for this step.
There are a few things to keep in mind:
- WhatApp Web won’t work if your phone is not connected to the Internet. I know this is sad but it is like that at the moment.
- It keeps syncing with your phone while you are typing or uploading images. That means it is going to eat up your monthly data allowance if you don’t use WiFi!
- * for other devices you can visit directly the support page
You can also get a more convenient desktop App. There are 2 Options: either download the official App from their website by clicking the button below or get it from the Windows store.
Tips WhatsApp Web and Desktop version:
- To insert a new line when writing text in WhatsApp Web press shift key + Enter simultaneously.
- Respond to a specific text swipe right.